Monday, October 31, 2011

Pelican Figurehead

I like this piece because it is of a pelican. LOL I like pelicans...they are from Florida, JUST LIKE ME!!!  =)  I think they are really neat birds too!

This Pelican figurehead, which is carved of wood and is painted in several colors, was found in Key Marco, Florida in 1895, along with other wooden carvings.The head, neck, and breast were found still attached, and the spread-out wings were found close by. Archaeologists believe that the figures found may have been attached to ceremonial furniture or posts.

I am surprised that what is there is still in that one piece; it is made of wood and was found in a swamp.

This kind of makes me want to go to Key Marco sometime; I once lived in Key Largo and I've gone all the way down to Key West (the lowest Key), but I've never actually been around the area and I am not even sure where the exact location is.

These figures that were found in this area are representations of animals that actually live(d) in this area. The pelican would make perfect sense. Even if I had never been to southern Florida, I could probably guess that with pelicans around, there were probably beaches and palm trees and tropical weather.

3 comments:

  1. I love pelicans too, they are my favorite bird! I like how real it looks, I wish I could have seen it when they made it and the whole thing was put together, I am sure it reflected the pelicans personality well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing that this has stood over time since it is wood and the area of Florida is so humid and prone to decay. I would like to see a rendering of the pieces placed together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That surprises me too Joyce. I wonder if the type of paint they used maybe had anything to do with preserving it.

    ReplyDelete