Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Virgin and Child

 
There are many pieces of art showing the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus. This one is my favorite from what I have recently seen. This statue is silver-gilt and happens to have been donated to the abbey church of Saint-Denis by Queen Jeanne d' Évreux, the same queen who put her Book of Hours in her will.

It looks so much more realistic than many of the other similar figures. For one thing, Mary has a natural pose, shifting her weight to her left side while carrying Jesus in her left arm, called a Gothic S-curve, how most women carry their babies. Mary also looks so calm and peaceful, even though in her right hand she is carrying a fleur-de-lis to show that she is royalty. I love the flowing detail of her dress; it makes it look so real. 

In this statue, baby Jesus looks much more like an infant; in many other paintings and sculptures of Mary and Jesus, baby Jesus almost always looks like a small, grown man. I like how Jesus is reaching for his mother and is active, as a real baby would be; I enjoy the interaction between mother and son. In his left hand, Jesus is holding an apple to refer to his role as the New Adam who is sacrificed on the cross to forgive our sin, starting with Eve's and Adam's eating of the forbidden fruit.

On the base that Mary is standing on, there are little statues of prophets and 14 scenes from Christ's infancy and passion to remind us of his suffering to come.

An amazing piece. I wouldn't mind having one of these in my home!  :)

5 comments:

  1. I love the "S" curve in this piece. It makes her more realistic. And the interaction between Mary and Jesus is amazing in the piece. I wish there was a little bit of color on their clothes but besides that, I really like this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the natural feel that Mary has, as well. She feels like a real person rather than some idealized version of a mother. It also helps to humanize Jesus since we see him engaged, as you mentioned. He is not just staring straight ahead but is fully animated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy how human this feels, it is not stiff at all and feels almost timeless because we still see women and children engage this way every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this piece as well. I enjoy the human feel which bring this piece to life. I also like that it has a human connection with baby Jesus and his mother Mary, by the way he held his hand towards her face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do like how realistic this looks. Every mother that I have seen has that "S-curve" when she is holding her child. Not just the mothers, it's the girls who hold their baby brother, sister, niece, and etc. I know I do it when I hold a baby. The bond between the mother and child to me is so beautiful. If it's one thing you don't do in life, do not break a bond between the mother and her child. A mother would do anything for her child and all children love his or her mother. Even when they don't admit it they do. I adore this piece just because of how realistic it looks.

    ReplyDelete